Washoe Country School District
2012-13 Budget Information
Facing a $40 million shortfall due to losses of local, state, and federal funding, the Washoe County School District Board of Trustees approved on Wednesday, May 16 a final budget for the 2012-2013 school year.
Read the budget details at:
Budget Townhall Meetings
The Washoe County School District will host a series of budget townhall meetings in March and April to continue conversations with the community about the District's budget situation. The District will be discussing with parents, school district employees, and community members the $40 million budget shortfall for FY13 (2012-13 school year) and its impact on the WCSD.
Dates of Townhall Meetings
- Thursday, March 29 - North Valleys High School cafeteria - 6:30 p.m. (Video)
- Saturday, March 31 - Wooster High School and Sparks High School cafeterias
(2 locations available) - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, April 18 - Galena High School cafeteria - 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 25 - Reno High School and Spanish Springs High School cafeterias (2 locations available) - 6:30 p.m.
Superintendent's Budget Recommendations
March 12, 2012 - Superintendent Heath Morrison announced his preliminary recommendations to address the FY13 (2012-13 school year) budget shortfall of $40 million at a media briefing in March.
- Snapshot of Information Discussed During the Media Briefing
- Snapshot of Information Discussed During the Media Briefing - Spanish
- Media Briefing PowerPoint
- Media Briefing Video
2012 State of Education
January 31, 2012 - During the second annual State of Education address, Superintendent Heath Morrison provided an in-depth update on the progress of the Washoe County School District's efforts to improve the quality of education for all children. He discussed the steps the District still needs to take to ensure all students in Washoe County graduate college and highly-skilled career ready and outlined the challenges facing WCSD, including the budget, as it moves forward with its reform plan.
- State of Education News Release
- Snapshot of Information Discussed in State of Education
- State of Education PowerPoint
- State of Education Video
The Washoe County School District currently is seeking budget-savings ideas to address potential budget reductions. We want to hear your best suggestions to save money for the WCSD. Please send suggestions to BudgetSavings@washoeschools.net. Please see the link below for more information about frequently made suggestions.
2012-13 Budget News and Information