Washoe Country School District
AB 46: School Capital Needs Initiative
Have questions or comments
With the school district’s only major source of revenue for building repairs and maintenance about to expire, the Washoe County School District began to talk with state legislators and the community about what could be done to make sure that schools would continue to be taken care of and the taxpayer investment in those buildings would continue to be protected.
Throughout these conversations, it became clear that a funding solution was needed. The Board of Trustees identified sustainable funding for capital projects as its highest legislative priority and sponsored a bill during the 2013 legislative session.
Assembly Bill 46 (AB46) was introduced
with the support of bipartisan state legislators and many parents, business leaders, and community members. Many discussions about responsible use of taxpayer dollars, the school district’s capital needs, and the proposed solution ensued. Governor Brian Sandoval signed AB46 into law in June 2013, giving the Washoe County Board of Commissioners the power to determine whether to enact a proposal that would generate funding for critical school repairs and maintenance in the Washoe County School District.
The school capital needs initiative proposes to increase sales tax by ¼ percent in Washoe County and 5 cents per $100 of assessed value in Washoe County. It would raise approximately $20 million annually to be used for the most critical repair and maintenance projects at WCSD schools and buildings. According to the UNR's Center for Regional Studies, the proposal is expected to cost average families less than $8 per month if it is enacted. The proposal needs to be approved by 4 of the 5 Washoe County Commissioners by Jan. 1, 2014 to be enacted.
This webpage will be updated frequently to provide the answers and information you are looking for about the school capital needs initiative.
Washoe County Commission Meeting Materials
Materials Presented to the Washoe County Commission on October 15, 2013
- WCSD Rollover Bonds Agreed-Upon Procedures
- Questions from Washoe County Commissioners to Washoe County School District 10/15/13
Materials Presented to the Washoe County Commission on September 17, 2013
- Washoe County Commission Resource Binder
- Letter of Intent
- Questions from Washoe County Commission to Washoe County School District
Materials Presented to the Washoe County Commission on August 20, 2013
- Overview of the Operating Funds of the School District
- Accountability & Council of the Great City Schools Review
- Council of the Great City Schools Review: Implementation of Recommendations
- Washoe County Commission Resource Binder
Materials Provided to the Washoe County Commission on July 23, 2013
- The Problem and Proposed Solution: A Look at Capital Projects Funding in WCSD (Español)
- Powerpoint Presentation for the Washoe County Commission (July 23,2013)
- School Information (Ages, Enrollments, and Building Capacities)
- Maps of Schools by County Commission Districts
- Council of the Great City Schools Review
- Washoe County District Attorney Memo on AB 46
- Legislative Counsel Bureau Opinion on AB 46
- Informational Packet for the Washoe County Commissioners (July 23, 2013)
WCSD Board Of Trustees Work Session on CGCS Review
“The Council of the Great City Schools has conducted over 220 instructional, management, and operational reviews in about 50 big-city school districts over the last several years, including the Los Angeles Unified School District, the Chicago Public Schools, the Houston Independent School District and the Miami-Dade County Schools to name a few.
The reports generated by these reviews have often been the foundation for improving the operations and management of many urban school systems nationally. These reports have also been the basis for identifying “best practices” for other urban school systems to replicate.
Council of the Great City Schools
School Zones By Washoe County Commission Districts
|Elementary School||Elementary School||Elementary School||Elementary School||Elementary School|
|Middle School||Middle School||Middle School||Middle School||Middle School|
|High School||High School||High School||High School||High School|