Washoe Country School District
The Nevada High School Proficiency Examination (NHSPE) is administered to students enrolled in Nevada public and state charter schools beginning in grade 10. The HSPE consists of the Math, Reading, Science and Writing tests. To be eligible for a standard or advanced Nevada high school diploma, a student must pass all subject areas of the high school proficiency examination and otherwise satisfy the requirements for graduation from high school (NRS 389.805).
HSPE Test Administration Calendar for the 2013-2014 School Year
| November 4-8, 2013 |
March 3-7, 2014
April 28-30, 2014
July 7-10, 2014
| Grades 11, 12 & Adult Retest|
Grade 10, Grades 11, 12 & Adult Retest
Grade 12 & Adult Retest
Grade 12 & Adult Retest
Information for Adult and Home-Schooled Students
Adult Education Program, Washoe County School District
The Adult Education Program in Washoe County offers teacher-taught and online preparatory courses for adult students who have not yet passed all sections of the NHSPE. Contact the Adult Education Program (also known as Washoe Innovations High School - Adult) at least 6 weeks before the test date to set up an appointment with a counselor and register for classes and the NHSPE administration.
Washoe Innovations High School - Adult
777 West 2nd Street
Reno, NV 89503
Adult students who are enrolled in preparation or remediation courses through local colleges or the university, are doing independent study, or working with a tutor/tutoring program should contact the Washoe County School District Assessment Department to discuss options for participation in the NHSPE administration.
HSPE Registration Forms - Home Schooled Students / Student in Unique Circumstances
The WCSD Assessment Department provides opportunities for home schooled students in grade 12/senior year, and non-WCSD adult students to participate in the WCSD administration of the NHSPE. Interested students must register to test and complete appropriate remediation prior to participating. Please select and submit the appropriate form to the WCSD Assessment Department at least 30 days prior to the week of testing. Adult students enrolled with Washoe Adult Education do not complete this form and should contact their counselor for more information.
• Home Schooled/Special Circumstances Student HSPE Registration (fillable-pdf)
• Adult Students HSPE Registration (fillable-pdf)
• Nevada Department of Education ~ HSPE Resources
• Math > NHSPE - Southern Nevada RPDP (rpdp.net)
- NV HSPE Practice Exams ~ Mathematics - videos for use with Spring 2011 CCSD Practice NHSPE
- NV HSPE Instructional Materials~Mathematics ©2009
• Reading (ELA) > NHSPE - Southern Nevada RPDP (rpdp.net)
- NV HSPE Instructional Materials~Reading ©2009
• Science > NHSPE - Southern Nevada RPDP (rpdp.net)
- NV HSPE Instructional Materials~Science ©2009
• Writing (ELA) > NHSPE - Southern Nevada RPDP - State Writing Assessments (rpdp.net)
- NV Writing Proficiency Examination Holistic Rubric ©2000
State law requires that a student who needs to take one or more tests as an adult, must furnish the state or district institution administering the examination evidence of completion of appropriate remedial study. The remedial study must have been completed since the last attempt at the test. See Nevada Revised Statute.
Learn Online! There are a number of resources available online to help students learn and review skills and content for multiple subjects. Keep in mind that all instructional resources do not align directly with standards taught and assessed as part of the NV HSPE assessment series. Aside from those listed above, try...
♦ Khan Academy
- A not-for-profit organization with a goal of providing free access to quality education materials and resources in multiple subjects (math, science, humanities and finance).
Send questions to: AssessmentSupport@washoeschools.net