Washoe Country School District
July 28, 2014
GATE Strategic Plan (Created May 2007)
The mission of the WCSD Gifted and Talented Education Program is to provide gifted and talented students differentiated instruction that is commensurate with their exceptional abilities through a wide spectrum of curricular and instructional gifted services and opportunities. The District will provide programs for gifted and talented students to work together under the guidance of trained teachers in an atmosphere that is intellectually and academically rigorous, fosters creativity, and provides emotional support.
WCSD Definition of Gifted and Talented
Gifted and Talented students are those who exhibit evidence of high intellect, superior academic performance, and/or exceptional capabilities when compared to others of their age, experience, or environment. These students require special services not provided in a general school setting. The State of Nevada (NRS 388.440) defines a “gifted and talented pupil” as “a person under the age of 18 years who demonstrates such outstanding academic skills or aptitudes that he cannot progress effectively in a regular school program and therefore needs special instruction or special services.”
The Washoe County School District embraces the following beliefs about gifted and talented students:
- The education of gifted learners is a shared responsibility among students, family, school, community and society at large.
- Early and timely identification and ongoing intervention are essential for optimum development of gifted learners.
- Giftedness knows no boundaries of socio-economic class, gender, or race.
- Recognizing, developing and valuing gifts and talents decreases risk of social and emotional difficulties and/or academic underachievement.
- Gifted students often demonstrate unique learning styles.
- Gifted students may have social and emotional needs related to their giftedness.
- Association with gifted and talented peers stimulates learning and contributes to affective development of gifted and talented learners.
- Gifted and talented students need a rigorous and relevant curriculum delivered in a creative, flexible, and supportive instructional environment.
- Success at challenging and rigorous activities enhances self-esteem; positive self-esteem enhances learning and future success.