Washoe Country School District
NCLB Highly Qualified Criteria
The Washoe County School District is proud of the quality of our teaching workforce. We believe we provide our students with excellent instruction from skilled, knowledgeable, and caring teachers. The federal "No Child Left Behind" legislation has coined a new phrase, "Highly Qualified Teacher" (HQT). This law requires that every teacher assigned to a core academic area demonstrate the HQT status appropriate to their assignment(s).
"Core academic areas" refers to reading, language arts, mathematics, science, social studies (includes civics, history, government, geography and economics), foreign language, arts (includes visual arts, theater and music). Teachers, including elementary education, special education, alternative education, gifted education and ESL, who teach one or more classes in any of these subjects in grades K-12 must meet the HQT requirement.
Please click on each link below for detailed information, specifying the avenues for achieving Highly Qualified status in each type of core assignment.
- K-6 Regular Education
- K-6 English as a Second Language
- K-6 Gifted and Talented
- K-6 Special Education Resource, K-6 Comprehensive Life Skills (CLS), and K-6 Social Intervention Program (SIP)
- 7-8 Regular Education
- 7-8 Alternative Education
- 7-8 English as a Second Language
- 7-8 Gifted and Talented
- 7-8 Special Education Comprehensive Life Skills (CLS)
- 7-8 Special Education Resource
- 7-8 Special Education Social Intervention Program (SIP)
- 9-12 Regular Education
- 9-12 Alternative Education
- 9-12 English as a Second Language
- 9-12 Special Education Comprehensive Life Skills (CLS)
- 9-12 Special Education Resource
- 9-12 Special Education Social Intervention Program (SIP)