Washoe Country School District
School climate reflects the physical and psychological aspects of the school that are more susceptible to change and that provide the preconditions necessary for teaching and learning to take place
(Tableman, 2004, p. 2).
A safe, caring, and engaging school climate has been shown to have a positive impact on student learning and achievement, teacher organizational and professional commitment, and parent involvement and school choice. In recognition of the importance of school climate, in 2011, the Washoe County School District developed and administered the first annual School Climate Survey. The survey is intended to provide schools with data that reflect components of school climate that support a positive learning and working environment and that promote academic success among all students.
Spring 2013 marks the third annual administration of the Climate Survey and will provide the first opportunity to compare results from year to year. The annual Climate Survey allows schools to celebrate strengths, monitor changes, and respond to areas of challenge in their efforts to build a positive, safe, and self-renewing culture that maximizes student learning. The Climate Surveys also provide the district with data to help measure progress and maintain accountability on objectives that are outlined in the strategic plan. The survey battery consists of four instruments: (1) Student Climate Survey; (2) Student Safety Survey; (3) Teacher and Staff Climate/Safety Survey; and (4) Parent Climate/Safety Survey.
2013 Student Climate Surveys
The Student Climate Survey consists of two instruments: (1) the School Climate Survey and (2) the School Safety Survey. The surveys will be completed in the school computer labs. Half of students will receive the Climate Survey and half of students will receive the Safety Survey. School counselors and deans are assisting school principals in scheduling a time for the survey to be administered.
The Student Climate Survey will be open April 29th to June 5th for schools on the traditional calendar. For non-traditional calendar schools, the Student Climate Survey will be open on the following dates:
- Traditional Schools/Natchez: April 29, 2013 through June 5th, 2013
- Multi-Track Green: April 29, 2013 to June 21, 2013
- Yellow Track: April 29, 2013 to June 19, 2013
- Red Track: April 29, 2013 to June 24, 2013
- Blue Track: April 29, 2013 to May 24, 2013
- Single Track Green: April 29, 2013 to June 14, 2013
- Incline: April 29, 2013 to June 12, 2013
2013 Teacher and Staff Climate Survey
Teachers and school staff will receive a link to the Teacher and Staff Climate Survey through school email on April 29th, 2013. They will have until June 5th to complete the online survey. Email reminders will be sent periodically until the survey has been completed. Note, the survey must be submitted in order for responses to register. Teachers and school staff will continue to receive email reminders until they have completed the survey.
Only school-based employees will be invited to complete the School Climate Survey. If you are a school employee and did not receive a survey invitation, please email Laura Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Parent Climate Survey
Parent Climate Surveys will be sent to parents of all WCSD students on April 29th. Parents will have until June 5th to complete either an online or paper copy of the survey. Parents will be emailed a link to an online version of the Climate Survey if their email address is listed in Infinite Campus. Paper surveys will also be sent to all parents who do not havetheir email address listed in Infinite Campus:
- Parents of Middle and High School Students: Paper surveys will be directly mailed home with return postage-paid envelopes to parents of middle and high school students. Paper surveys must be mailed in or returned to the school by June 5th.
- Parents of Elementary School Students: Paper surveys will be distributed to all elementary schools with pre-printed envelopes for privacy and sent home with students. Paper surveys must be returned to the school by June 5th.
Parent Notification Forms for the 2013 Student Climate Survey
2013 Student Survey Previews for Parents
2013 Survey Procedure
- Frequently Asked Questions about the School Climate Survey Project
- Guide for School Staff Administering Student Climate Survey
- FAQs for School Staff Assisting with Parent Climate Survey
- Full Project Plan for 2013 Climate Surveys
For questions about the WCSD Climate Survey, please contact Laura Davidson at email@example.com.